Tennis Rules and Regulations
Lawn Tennis Rules and Regulations 2012
Weather and court condition will dictate the hours of play. Court opening is at the discretion of the staff under direction of the Management. Members must respect decisions by the staff and stay off the courts when closed.
Mondays: 4:00pm – 9:00 pm (last court booking at 8pm)
Tuesday – Friday: 12:00 pm – 9:00 pm (last court booking at 8pm)
Saturday – Sunday: 12:00 pm – 7:00 pm (last court booking at 6pm)
Prime Time: Saturday and Sunday, 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Tuesdays, 4:00 pm till closing (both courts), Mixed doubles
Thursdays, 4:00 pm till closing (both courts), Men’s doubles
- Players should play only one set at a time so all players get an opportunity to play in turn.
- Members must play doubles if there are enough players.
Only active section members in good standing may book a court for themselves and their playing partners (or guests). All court bookings must be recorded in the booking binder at the bar.
- Except during reserved times as specified above, courts may be booked for singles or doubles play.
- Courts may be booked in person or by telephone up to one week in advance.
- Members may book a court on the same day they wish to play, space permitting.
- Members may “walk-on” and use un-booked times if available.
- Each booking should have at least 2 names, of which one must be a member.
- Consecutive booking of a court is not allowed. Members may not book a court immediately following a court time they have already booked. Courts can be booked for a maximum of 2 hours.
- Ball hoppers are not allowed on the courts.
Tennis Attire: Appropriate tennis attire is expected for all play.
Footwear: Appropriate tennis shoes must be worn so as not to damage the grass when playing tennis.
Membership fees will be billed on March 31st. To remain an active member, fees must be paid in full by June 1st.
Without arrangements satisfactory to Club Management, non-payment of fees and any outstanding charges by July 1st will result in cancellation of the section membership.
This is a reminder that accounts must be kept in good standing. High Park Club by-laws state:
If a member fails to pay any debt to the Club within 60 days of its due date, the Board may approve the suspension of all credit privileges until the account is brought current or other arrangements have been made to the satisfaction of the Treasurer and/or the Board.
Section membership is limited to 85 active members.
When the section is full, a waiting list is established for those wishing to become Tennis Section members. Applicants are accepted based on space availability and by the date of their application.
Suspended membership. A member may choose to suspend his/her membership due to injury or other reason for one year. During this suspension, the member may opt to become a house member. They will have no playing privileges but will be able to enjoy the club facilities and take part in club events, as well as continue to have an open account at the bar. Their name will be placed at the top of the waiting list for the next year.
Should the member choose not to become a house member, they will have no playing privileges and will not have access to the club facilities. Should they choose to rejoin the following year, their name will be placed at the bottom of the waiting list.
In both instances, the member will not have to pay the initiation fee again.
Members who have suspended their membership may play as a guest as long as the guest rules are adhered to.
Mid-season injury. Should a member experience a mid-season injury that prevents him/her from playing for the remainder of the season, he/she can request a partial refund for their fees. This request must be made in writing to the Board of Directors outlining the reason for the request. The refund is at the discretion of the Board.
Fees. Fees for the 2012 season are $460 + $10 OTA fee + HST. In addition, there is a $15 prize fund fee (no HST). House Member fees are $140 + HST.
New membership is granted:
- On availability of space.
- Upon approval of Section Executive.
- Upon receipt of an initiation fee of $1000.00 and a completed application form which is to be submitted to the Management office.
Curling Members Joining Tennis Section
Priority will be given to curling members who wish to join the tennis section based on the following:
A curling member must be a full member of the club (i.e. they cannot be a House Member or Friend of High Park).
The initiation fee for curling members wanting to join the tennis section will be 50% of the regular initiation fee (Currently the regular initiation fee is $1000, so curling members would pay $500).
Curling members will be placed in the queue based on the year that they became a curling member. For example, if a curling member joined in 2005, they would automatically go to the top of the waiting list as the list only goes back to 2008. If they joined a curling section in 2009, they would be placed in order (therefore people who have been on the tennis waiting list since 2008 would get priority over a curling member who joined in 2009).
The following rules apply to guests using the courts and club facilities:
- Members MUST SIGN IN their guest before they play tennis in the booking binder at the bar. It is the responsibility of the member to write the guest’s full name and their name as well.
- Guest fees (per day) are:
- (a) Immediate family member: $10.00
- (b) Non-family member: $20.00
- The guest fee must be payable at the bar, by cash or debit, or can be charged to the members account. If guest fee payment is not received, the guest fee will automatically be charged to the member’s account.
- Guests MUST play with a member, and the member must be present the entire time the guest is on High Park premises.
- Guests may not play for more than two hours, subject to court availability and complying with other rules.
- A member may bring a limit of 8 guests in prime time per season.
- Each guest can play a maximum of 4 times per season.
- Guests cannot play in reserved times.
Abuse of guest policy will result in loss of guest privileges and possibly membership.